Sunday, February 10, 2013

This is Jersey

Last time I posted, I realized I hadn't introduced Jersey. She is a seven year old Akita/Red Healer mix, weighs about 75 lbs and has the most captivating red and gold fur which seems to change color, depending on where the sun is in the sky. She's got deep, deep brown eyes which look as though they are a portal to eternal wisdom, compassion and love.

Jersey came from the Santa Fe Animal Shelter in Santa Fe, NM.  She came to us in August, 2005 when she was probably slightly more than two or three months old.  When Alexa first saw her, she was in a kennel with what we thought were two brothers.  They were all probably from the same litter but we didn' know and it didn't really matter.

Her name then was Brown Sugar.  I guess that's what came to mind when the shelter staff looked at her.  Alexa had paused in front of Jersey's kennel and watched as the two male puppies were rough housing with the little brown girl. Of course, they were playing but she didn't know that.  She was huddled in the corner, looking like she wanted to be anywhere but there.  When she looked at Alexa standing in the door, she was clearly saying "Help me. Please." Alexa had no choice but to pick her up.

I was coming around the corner to make way way down the next aisle of puppies when Alexa came up to me holding a light brown puppy under the forelegs.  Her puppy belly bulging, her hind legs dangling and a perplexed look on her face.  I was struck by the bolt. Here she was, she would be ours.

I took her from Alexa and went into an empty kennel and lay on the floor with her.  She wobbled a little bit  as she stood looking me in the eye.  "Hello" I said.  She looked me in the eye and seemed to be thinking "OK, now what?"  Something told me I had to break the ice with her and let her know I was alright. I ended up playing "hand game" with her; scuttling my hand across the floor like a bug which she could pounce on a gnaw at.  She let me pick her up, she chased after my hand, she looked me in the eye and she wagged ger tail.

I've never encountered a dog who wagged their tale in such a relaxed manner. It waved back and forth; not like a windsheild wiper on full speed but more like a stalk of wheat in a field, gently waving back and forth in a summer breeze..

Her personality clearly came through at that first relaxed wave.  She had found a home with us.

1 comment:

  1. A beautiful introduction! I'm in love with your Jersey Girl! Her eyes are so inviting, and they draw you in, in a gentle...hypnotic way. Prayers and hugs...as we all jump on board the healing train!

    ReplyDelete