Friday, February 8, 2013

Sardines

Last night, I started giving Jersey stinky, smelly, disgusting sardines.  They're supposed to be the best kind of fish for her especially because of the Omega 3 and the oils it provides.  The meat is also good for her. Mixing it in with her regular food seems to be the best combination, for now.

We're trying to figure out her diet.  We're taking into consideration her cancer, chemo and what is good for dogs.  There are so many choices it gets one's head to spinning.  From fish, to no grains, reduced carbs, supplements, veggies, oils, meats, etc.  We're also trying to decide if we should switch her to what's referred to as a Raw diet or following a receipe and preparing it for her ouselves. Either way, we are determined to provide her the best possible diet which will combat the cancer.

I've decided, and the info I've discovered through research which bears it out, diet is an essential and integral component of battling cancer. It's so important to build her up and not provide anything which will feed the cancer ridden cells.  Cutting out grains and carbohydrates is a key to attack that.  Cancer feeds off the grains and carbs (or sugars).  Remove that stuff, the cancer's got nothing to eat.  It's also imperative to make sure she gets protein.  Since dogs are carnivours by nature, we're going to be giving her meat, meat, meat!  Not sure if it will be chicken, turkey, beef or some combination of all three.  I've got more research to do.

For me, I seem to be moving through the initial devestation which comes from receiving such news:  "Your dog has cancer."  The shock was overwhelming.  I never thought I could be crushed, heartbroken, despairing and frightened at the same time.  Though those feelings are still there, they are slowly being replaced by my determination to do everything possible to help our girl achieve remission and get a reprieve from the deadly disease.  Having my mind occupied with positive tasks engages me and forces me to get the focus off myself and be concerned with Jersey's welfare.

Speaking of Jersey's welfare, Both my wife and I are extremely open to and believe in the possibility of miracles and wonders.  There's no reason a healing miracle can't happen.  But that however, is a story for another day.

I also just realized I haven't introduced you all to Jersey.  I'm going to do that tomorrow.  First though, we've got to get her chemo going.  It starts this afternoon.  It makes me frightened yet hopeful.  And that's a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment