Monday, April 1, 2013

My parent's house

Yesterday was Easter Sunday and we drove to my parents house for dinner with the family.  They live 170 miles away which isn't very far and makes for a tolerable day trip.  It was the first time we went on an extended drive without Jersey.

Both dogs were excellent travellers.  Neither Tellie nor Jersey got car sick.  Tellie usually sleeps curled up on the pillow on Alexa's lap.  Jersey always rode in the back of the jeep. 

A long time ago, I folded down the rear seats so the dogs would have a place to go while we were on car rides.  I had spread blankets and sheets for them to lay on and also collect any sand, dirt and mud they may have picked up during any of our excursions. I would open the lift gate and both of them would hop in.  They would each stand at a window waiting for me to lower them so they could stick their heads out. Tellie would ultimately climb into the front seat and Jersey would eventually lie down.  As we drove, Jersey would stand up and come forward to  give me a slurp on my right cheek.  It was almost as if she was saying "Thanks for taking me on this ride.  I know we're going someplace fun."  I'd reach back and rub her head, telling her thanks for the kisses.

We had only been to my parents house a few times with the dogs.  The first time was just me and Jersey.  We we're going to have a Father's Day visit and spend the night at their place.  Jersey was a very good girl. She was a little unsure at first but eventually learned that the big man with the beard, my father, wasn't going to eat her and that if she sniffed him to see if he was okay, she wouldn't eat him.  I slept on the fold out couch in their living room.  Jersey also slept on the couch; both of us snoring throughout the night.

That was a couple of years ago.

Walking into the room yesterday and looking at the couch brought back the memory.  It was bittersweet and made me think she should have been with us on this visit.

I find that a lot of places I go are places we had gone with Jersey.  I can't help but miss her when I look in the rearview mirror and don't see her big head with her sparkly eyes looking back at me.  She came with me just about everywhere and most places I go, Jersey was there.  Including my parent's house.

Easter has come and gone and the seasons will come and go. I take some sort of comfort knowing that as I revisit places we had gone together, she's still coming with me though I terribly miss being kissed on the cheek and hearing "thanks for taking me along."

No comments:

Post a Comment