Friday, April 19, 2013

Why the NCCF?

I am blown away by the support Jersey's Place has received in its efforts to help the National Canine Cancer Foundation in the search for a cure to the many forms of the deadly disease.  I wasn't sure what to expect when I decided to "adopt" the foundation.  I wanted to find a way to actively to  keep Jersey's spirit alive and this was a perfect way to do it .  I'm humbled that members of our Facebook group Jersey's Place have gotten so invested in Jersey's story that some have been moved to make donations through our website www.jerseysplace.org.  It all started with wristbands.

I wanted a wristband, similar to the yellow LIVESTRONG bands that so many people wear, as a my way of keeping Jersey close to me.  She'll always be in my heart but I wanted something tangible and visible to wear.  I've worn a LIVESTRONG band for years.  I realize it officially supports cancer research but I wear it for other reasons.  I have been sober for almost nine years and it reminds me to stay strong on the path I actively choose everyday.

Originally, I wanted one wristband for me to wear.  Then, I decided to order 100 of them and send them out to all the group members as a sign of thanks for all the support I received during the difficult time from when Jersey was diagnosed, through her passing and continue to receive to this day.  It's been overwhelming and has made a difference to me.

The company I placed my order with had a deal offering 100 free bands for each 100 ordered.  Though I don't consider myself a bargain hunter (ask my wife) I decided to take them up on it.  Bottom line, I ended up with 200 wristbands for a little under $100.  I didn't know what to do with them all.

I sort of became obsessive in my search for something to perpetuate her memory and came across the cancer foundation website.  Through them, there was access to another organization called Chase Away K9 Cancer.  They offered an orange wristband for sale with the proceeds donated to the Foundation and I though Jersey's Place could do the same thing.

So that's how we got to this place.  I created the website www.jerseysplace.org as a resource for dog owners.  It's not fully populated yet but does offer some information about the foundation, a link to a talk given by a canine oncologist and some other  places.  Right now though, it serves as an acess point for those interested in donating directly to the organization on behalf of Jersey's Place.  I receive notification when someone donates and can send them a wristband.  I try to turn it around within a 24 hour period.  I owe supporters that courtesy for their generosity.

Consider donating.  The National Canine Cancer Foundation is making a difference.  It's also an awseome way to keep Jersey's memory alive!

No comments:

Post a Comment