Wednesday, September 18, 2013

UPDATE: Little Lost Dog

It seems harsh to use the word "caught" or "trapped" when I refer to the little dog that had been behind our neighbor's house for a few days last week and and over the past weekend.  So, I'll use the word corral.  We managed to corral him into a portable enclosure so that our county Animal Control folks could transport him to the shelter.

I had gotten him to the point of trusting me enough to come within a foot of me to eat the piece of bacon I held out and tossed onto the blanket we had left out for him.  With Tellie at my side, I showed the little guy that I was OK.  Hopefully, I was showing that I wasn't hurting Tellie and I was feeding her by hand, that I was safe.

Though the dog didn't get close enough to eat directly out of my hand, he did decide to trust me enough to get close. I think he thought since Tellie was eating, he could probably get in on the action as well.

I sort of felt his skitteshness disapate as he chowed down on the bacon. He didn't totally surrender and completely trust me but it was good progress and probably would have led to me being able to touch him.

An Animal Control Officer did show up earlier in the afternoon to see the situation first hand.  They decided the best course of action would be to lure the dog into a cage, similar to a racoon trap.  We set it up and laid down a trail of baloney which hopefully would lead him in far enough to trip the mechanism which would snap the gate close behind him.

Eventually, everything worked according to plan.  The poor guy was very, very interested in the trail of meat and ultimately went far enough into the cage to activate the trap door.

It was vey hard to watch as the startled, firghtened dog ran around in frantic circles, trying to find a way out.  His bark sounded terrified the more and more he threw himself around looking for an exit.

Eventually, he settled down as the shock of the moment set in.  He had no idea what was happening. He couldn't and didn't understand that it was the only way to ensure he would be safe and not have to spend anymore time outside, fending for himself facing an uncertain future.

It sort of hurt my heart as I slowly approached the cage.  I had facilitated tricking him and violating any sense of trust he may have built up toward me. 

As I sat down next to him, the first thing I noticed was that "he" was a "she." Her eyes were brown and big and had a very frightened look in them.  She had an underbite and a appeared to be older than we originally thought. She had a little head and floppy ears and with a nose longer than it seemed from across the backyard.  Her fur was longer than I anticiapted because from a distance, it looked pretty smooth and short like that of a Pug.

I began to talk to her, apologizing for what I had done but trying to explain that it was for her higher good.  I quitely asked St. Francis to watch out for her and for Jersey to be with her and let her calming spirit provide some comfort.

As she intently looked at me, I could hear her saying to me in a resigned fashion, "I trusted you.  What did you do to me?"

While we looked into each others eyes, what appeared to be tears welling up began to drop from the corner of her eyes.  I know there are some dogs that have leaky eyes and they tend to water on a regular basis but this girl had none of those tell-tale signs.

I reached out and put a knuckle into the cage.  She reached forward, gave me a tender nip and licked me.  She then retreated back into her self and sat down. We had touched and made contact.

Animal Control eventually arrived and we carried her into the back of the van.  The officer shut the door and drove off.

The next day I called the administrative office of the kennel to see how she did after she got checked in and examined.  The first thing I was told was that they named her Hannah! The second thing they told me was that she was exhibiting signs of aggressiveness by barking and snapping at the kennel attendant. I'd bark and snap too if I was frightened by the strange surroundings and constant noise from the other dogs.

I asked if she was going to be adopted out after the quartine period of five days was over.  I was told there were three possibilities.  If she settled down and the kennel tech thought she had become calm enough to get some practice loose leash walking and being taught some basic manners, she would be put up for adoption.  If she remained wary of anyone that approached her, they might try to find a shelter where someone might work closely with her to ultimately bring her around.  Finally, if they thought she she couldn't be rehabilitated, they would be left with no choice.  They would have to take drastic, irreversible action.

I felt sick to my stomache as I heard that news.  In an effort to extend assistance, I opened the possibility of something horrible happening to this little dog who, through no fault of her own, was abandoned. I'm sure the fear she developed of people was because of the way she was probably treated by a heartless guardian.  They totally disregarded the responsibility they had for her care and protection.

I don't know what will happen and can't help but pray she gets what every dog deserves a long, secure life with a loving open-hearted guardian.

I almost grieve for the disregard and lack of compassion some people exhibit.  I'll never fathom how a living, conscious, feeling innocent being like little Hannah can end up in a cage, in a shelter, facing the possibility of having the light in her eyes go dark.

Please, adopt a stray, unwanted animal.  Have them spayed or neutered and love them. They deserve compassion and a happy, safe, protected life.

No comments:

Post a Comment