Thursday, September 26, 2013

A new feeling

Tellie is the biggest little dog I've ever known.  Skylar is our giant floppy puppy.  Jersey was our teacher, Zen master and beloved companion.  We've loved New Years who showed me what true courage is while suffering from diabetes, IBS, cataracts and received countless vaccinations, was subject to too many needles, had to eat very, very bland food and had way too many trips to the emergency vet clinic  Haley was regal in bearing and was Alexa's forever sould mate.  I've also been touched by Milagro and Sundance and Goldie, the Shetland Sheep dog I grew up with.

Despite the fact my life has been effected by each and every one, I never considered myself an animal advocate.  I've directed live television coverage of city council meetings where people, including Alexa, spoke out strongly on behalf of circus animals; I was hired as the photographer at an awards gala honoring people who took extraordinary actions to speak on behalf of animals; I've created televion programming highlighting a mobile vet service serving dogs and cats in very, very rural New Mexico.  Alexa and I hosted live television coverage of a Pet Parade.  Despite all that I never gave thought that I might be doing something on behalf of an animal and possibly giving voice to their welfare.

Most recently, I feel like I've played a part in speaking on behalf of little Hannah, the dog we rescued and who ended up facing an uncertain and hopeless future in our county animal shelter.

As a result, I recognize I have been given a very special gift.  The gift of comapassion and I'm not the only one who has received it.  I recognize it in those who speak out on behalf of an animal, it can be seen in someone visiting an animal shelter and the way they scrunch down in front of a kennel to spend a couple of minutes and offer a word of encouragement and love to a caged dog. It's obvious in someone walking their dog down the street. They a demonstrate a committment to the care of their pet.  I see it and feel it in the folks who stood up and took action to ensure Hannah would be given a chance at having a life with a loving adopted family.

It is truly a gift that keeps on giving.  Look for your compassion and exercise it. Let it guide your actions.  Do something, anything.  Give it away.  Scrunch down in front of an animal shelter cage and offer a moment of love to a dog or cat who might never have experienced a kind word yet has unlimited loylaty and love to give back. It'll come back to you and change your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment