Monday, July 1, 2013

Research and uncharted territory

Over this past weekend I spent some time trying to find a new place for us all to visit.  We can't go to Sandy Point State Park during the summer season.  No dogs are allowed from Memorial Day through October 1.  We tried to go to the Howard County Dog park a few weeks ago but they wouldn't let us in because Skylar was too young.  They didn't let dogs in who are under four moths old.  Besides, it's not our favorite place.  There is a $5 charge to get in and they've got volunteers guarding the gate.  They REALLY don't want people who don't pay or aren't members to gain entry.  On Saturday's we had been going to a High School athletic field for letting both Tellie and Skylar off-leash to get some running around time.  However, it's been way to hot for being outside.  There is no shade, no water and high humidity.  Not only is it miserable for the dogs, it kills me, too.

The only regularly visited park that's left is Quiet Waters Park in Annapolis.  It's a nice enough park and they've got a fenced in dog area.  Skylar has gotten nicely socialized with other pups while running around within the confined area and has rough and tumbled to her hearts content.  Tellie has also gotten into the action though she is more selective about the dogs she plays with.  Ultimately, she'd rather sit with us on the bench and take in all the in puppoy havoc.

All this led me to begin looking for new placse for us to go.  We've been visiting the same places time and time again during the last two years and are in need of a change.

I realized yesterday that in the past when Jersey was with us, I spent a lot of time trying to find places that she would like.  I searched for parks with water access, hiking trails, off leash areas or open fields.  Jersey loved to ride in the car and visit new places.  She got a kick out of new experiences and exploring.  She loved taking hikes, she loved splashing in rivers, she loved playing in water, she liked running free.

Yesterday, I was struck by another thought.  Neither Tellie nor Skylar are much interested in stuff like that.  Tellie would rather take a walk and Skylar is happy doing whatever Tellie is doing.  Sure they enjoy riding in the car but they don't really care about new places.  The important thing for them is that our whole pack is together.  They are totally happy just spending time with us. I don't trust either of them to be off-leash while exploring a forest and they don't care for water.  At least Tellie doesn't, I'm not sure about Skylar yet.

Though I'm still going to look for uncharted territory, my focus has changed and it makes me a little sad.

I loved taking Jersey to all the exciting places we used to go.  It was a great outlet for both of us and was also a great way to get some regular exercise.  Now, the thought of going to the Sandy Point Beach without Jersey is too much for me to think about yet.  I'm sort of thankful there is dog access during the summer season. 

It's different now, Tellie and Skylar will do whatever we do. Jersey would, too.  The difference is Jersey had joy in being adventureous; she was up for anything.  The dogs now are a little more cautious and aren't as curious about what is at the top of the next hill or the next pool around the bend in the river.

Not only was it exciting for Jersey, I loved taking Jersey to these places.  it was exciting for me too and I miss those times of exploring with her.

I love Tellie and Skylar.  Life is just different.  The new normal is setting in.

No comments:

Post a Comment