Friday, March 1, 2013

Keen remedy



I never realized how much pleasure I would get from watching Jersey have a bowel movement in the backyard.  She hobbled away from me and stooped over much like an old man stuck half way between standing and sitting down in a Barca Lounger. After I jumped up and down and told her what a good girl she was, she looked at me smugly and slowly but surely walked to the brick patio and slid down to the ground. She looked supremely pleased with herself and was now asking for a snack so she could re-load. My excitement stemmed from the fact there had been nothing over the last 24 hours.  She also was drinking minimal water and I was beginning to worry.
I was worried because though she had eaten she hadn't had a movement since the day before when I discovered she had an accident. She had since been through 2 breakfasts, a couple of hefty snacks and substantial dinner last night. She also chowed on a left over T-bone steak bone I brought home from Denny's last night. In addition, she hadn't been too interested in drinking.
I couldn't tell if she was being stubborn or just wasn't interested in drinking. Not wanting to slurp could be a sign of failing kidneys which would have been a major cause of concern.
A few days ago she had been drinking a lot because of the Prednisone. One of the side effects is increased thirst. Since we had cut her dose, there could be the possibility she wasn't thirsty.
I was worried because though she had eaten she hadn't had a movement since the day before when I discovered she had an accident.  She had since been through 2 breakfasts, a couple of hefty snacks and substantial dinner last night.  She also chowed on a left over T-bone steak bone I brought home from Denny's last night. In addition, she hadn't been too interested in drinking.
 
I couldn't tell if she was being stubborn or just wasn't interested in drinking. Not wanting to slurp could be a sign of failing kidneys which would have been a major cause of concern.
 
A few days ago she had been drinking a lot because of the Prednisone.  One of the side effects is increased thirst. Since we had cut her dose, there could be the possibility she wasn't thirsty.
 
This is one of those times when doing too much research on the Internet can be dangerous.  My mind automaticaly moved into diagnostic mode.  Has she eaten? Yes. Has she had a movement? No. Was she drinking water? No.  "Okay" I decided, she hasn't had enough liquid to keep things loose so it can pass through her easily."  I figured I had a couple of options.  A. I could get the garden hose and shove it down her throat and turn the water on full blast; B. I could pry the hardened stool out of her butt, making a free passage for a movement.  C. I could get down on my hands and knees and demonstrate how to drink from a bowl; D. I could take her outside and shake her backside uop and down until something happened or E. Somehow I could pry her jaws open and pour a bottle of canola oil down her gullet and see what happened.
 
Fortunately, I didn't have to do any of them.  As I was standing there looking at her trying to figure out which option would be the least messy and volcanic, she gave me the look.  The look that speaks volumes.  The look of "If you don't get me outside NOW, the only thing you're going to have to worry about is shovelling shit."  Faced with that command, I had no choice.
 
I gingerly picked her up, being careful to not have my arm press on her belly, and carried her out back.  Needless to say, I've already told you how it ended.
 
The mind is a funny thing.  I never thought I was extreme in my thinking but it turns out I am.  This otherwise rational 50 year old man was actually considering blowing his dog out with water so her poop could freely flow!  It just goes to prove how helpless I otherwise feel and how I want to make things better when there is nothing else to be done. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment