Thursday, November 6, 2014

Updates and Revision

An update:

For those that didn't know, it turned out Tellie did not have cancer.  It was only a growth on her front paw which resolved itself and cleared up shortly after the last time I posted about her in June.  She's doing really well and is truly a joy in our life. She makes us both laugh. She gets excited with us when we are happy and celebrate, she comforts us when we are sad.

Skylar is a truly a part of our family.  Her best friend is Tellie and she is a very, very, very well behaved, friendly dog.  I've never had a dog with such a great personality.  Everyone she meets is her best friend. Every dog she greets is a potential playmate and Skylar is always ready to "get her dog on."

A few months ago, we bought a new car.  I don't know why I was surprised at myself when I realized the decision about what to get was based on research I had done about what car was the most dog friendly.  I already knew I would get some sort of SUV.  The first new car I ever bought was a 1994 Jeep Cherokee Sport and I've had an SUV ever since.  I used to have to haul and schlep video equipment when I was actively making TV.  I still carry stuff around but most regularly I load the dogs in back.

When I was researching what would best suit my needs, I was most concerned about getting a vehicle with the most cargo space so the dogs would have adequate room.  I also had to concern myself with how high the rear hatch was from the ground.  I needed something low because Skylar could never work up the nerve to jump into the back of the Jeep.  She thought it was too high off the ground.  I wanted to get something to accomodate her.  She is 80 lbs big and I was the one who had to lift her in and out of the vehicle since she never learned how to get in the car by herself.

I also needed to take into account the color of the interior.  I didn't want somethething that would show all the hair, mud, dirt, grass that invariably accumulates when you travel with dogs.

I also needed storage compartments to keep all their stuff in order.  I needed a place to store extra leashes, water bowls, toys, bones and all the other dog related junk I had to carry around.

Finally, I would require something that had windows big enough for them to stick their heads out  of. They needed a way to stick their heads out and have their tongues hanging out in the wind, so dog slobber could get streaked along the outside of the car; and noses twitching with their ears swept back as I would drive the roads and highways as we visited old destinations and explored new places.

I ultimately decided on a 2015 Subaru Forester.  We are all very happy for the purchase.

Finally, I let the Jersey's Place web page expire.  It is no longer active.  Instead, people have been joining us at the Jersey's Place Facebook group page.  Members share news of their dogs, seek advice from one another about different dog related things, post dog stuff and generally support each other in celebrating all things dog. 

A down side to letting go of the webpage is that there was no longer a vehicle for folks to access the National Canince Cancer Foundation webpage to make donations and get Jersey's Place wristbands.

I created a Jersey's Place Friends page at www.wearethecure.com where people can donate if they choose to help in the fight to eradicate all forms of canine cancer.  Check it out, it's a great resource for information .  Vist our page at
http://wearethecure.org/friends/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=828

There you go, you're updated.

Don't forget to visit us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/202086693263877/

Welcome to Jersey's Place! Come, Sit and Stay for awhile...

No comments:

Post a Comment